Being a southern gal, I love all things Charleston! From historic cobblestone streets and horse drawn carriages to scenic waterfronts and delicious fare, Charleston is the epitome of all things wonderful about The South, but did you know it has also been named the Most Romantic City in America? It’s no wonder, with the sweeping oak trees drenched in Spanish Moss, charming historic homes lining the streets, and cozy candlelit spots, that make the perfect backdrop to get down on one knee. Charleston boasts many idyllic locations that make the perfect place to get engaged, and these are some of my absolute favorite to photograph your surprise engagement!
Where to propose in Charleston
Here are my favorite locations in Charleston to propose:
• Hampton Park – A spacious and beautiful park near the Citadel with beautiful paths, extensive gardens, large oak trees – making it picture perfect! I photographed Nick and Emily’s engagement in these gardens in the Spring and it made the perfect backdrop to celebrate the couple.
• Folly Beach – With the fun and quirky main street and beautiful beach areas, this spot can even double as a celebration location after you pop the question. Going for a long stroll on the beach is known to be romantic, so why not play up the romance before you get down on one knee? Bonus points if you head down to the lighthouse – you’ll have the perfect backdrop for me to snap the first engagement pictures after the big moment!
• Battery Park – A waterfront park with gazebo and romantic large oaks covered in dreamy Spanish Moss arching over the sidewalk on either side, The Battery is a picture-perfect venue to ask the one you love to marry you. This park is iconic in Charleston and incredibly perfect to bring your future fiancée for a walk while I wait unseen nearby, ready to capture your moment forever.
• Rainbow Row – The iconic street in Charleston, known for the colorful pastel facades of the historic buildings lining East Bay Street, Rainbow Row is a classic spot in the city for good reason. Take a stroll down this historic street, and you have the perfect backdrop for a surprise proposal. The scene will be so romantic, your future fiancé won’t even notice that I am nearby, capturing the moment forever.
• Waterfront Park – Easily accessible by foot from downtown, this park overlooking Charleston Harbor and the Cooper River, complete with iconic Pineapple fountain is a great choice for surprise proposal photos or an engagement session with the one you love. Take a stroll through the gardens, check out the echo stones and fountains, marvel at the colorful old homes, and enjoy the swings on the pier while watching boats pass in the harbor for a completely romantic date with your fiancée, while I capture the memories for you to cherish for years to come.
Bonus- Romantic Places Near Charleston to Get Engaged
• Morris Island Lighthouse Beach – Surrounded by driftwood with the lighthouse island in the background, this is a perfect spot for a romantic walk complete with a surprise proposal! Take her for a walk along this secluded beach on the washed-out end of Folly Beach, then get down on one knee. I’ll be there to capture the perfect moment, and she’ll be enamored with the moment captured forever.
• Cypress Gardens – Miles of beautiful gardens to stroll coupled with romantic boat rides through the very waters that were in the film The Notebook make this Charleston engagement location well worth the half hour drive from downtown. Whether she loves the romantic movie or is simply swept away by the magic of these gardens, this is a great choice for a beautiful date complete with a proposal and engagement session with me to help you remember this day forever.
Now that you have an idea of where to propose in Charleston, let's chat about your upcoming engagement. I'd love to help you plan all the details so you can focus on these memorable moments to come - Give me a call at 803-242-1197!
Having me capture the moment she says YES will send her over the moon with joy and excitement! She will be thrilled so much thought went into this moment and that you will have the pictures to look back on this day. Surprise proposal sessions are $650 and include planning consultation, up to 2 hours on location with mini engagement session and images delivered via download. I can’t wait to help you preserve this exciting and memorable day.